Hey all!

How has May come around so quickly, let alone nearing May 17th, the release date for Pieces at the Ylva store? I swear it’s still January. In 2012.

Anyway! To celebrate, I’m giving away three e-book copies of Pieces! All you have to do is tell me why you think YA is important, and the winners will be chosen at random and announced the night before the release, so tomorrow the 16th of May.

Here’s a copy of the blurb:

Orphaned Carmen is sixteen, newly homeless and will do almost anything to survive and keep her and her kid brother safe, together, and out of foster care. Ollie, also sixteen, has a life that’s all about parents, school pressure, friends and dreams of summer. The two fall into each other’s orbit, and one kiss changes everything. Ollie is captivated … but then Carmen vanishes. When they cross paths months later, everything is different.

A young adult queer romance that looks at what we’re prepared to sacrifice for those we care about.

So, get commenting! All I ask is that the winners leave an honest review on Goodreads and Amazon.

It’s almost the release date for Pieces?!
Tagged on:

13 thoughts on “It’s almost the release date for Pieces?!

• May 15, 2017 at 4:35 pm

YA lesbian fiction is important for teenagers to feel represented in the media to build identity and self worth.

• May 18, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Thanks so much for entering Charlotte! You are one of the winners. Please send me an email at gbensonauthor@gmail.com with what format you would like the e-book in :)

• May 15, 2017 at 5:22 pm

YA books are important as they can help younger people to understand things that might be difficult for them to speak to anyone else about. Today, there are a wide variety of YA books giving the younger audience a chance to find their way. They are educational as well as a good way to relax.

• May 15, 2017 at 7:03 pm

YA is good for teenagers to be able to read about themselves and good for grownups to help understand kids. (I love well-written young adult stories.)

• May 15, 2017 at 9:54 pm

I have no idea what happened with my comment?
      It was suppose to be: YA is important, mainly for teenagers but for everybody because being a teenager is so hard, those years stay with you for your entire life so it’s important there are YA books out there that don’t treat teenagers like children and reflect their experiences. Books, like no other medium make you feel like you are not alone, that you are understood and there is infinite power in that.

• May 16, 2017 at 12:36 am

YA is important for everyone to read. It reminds adults they were young once too and shows them how kids think today.

For YA themselves books can educate them on how to behave and conduct themselves in a way that is different to their real life. IE conflict resolution or what happens if you make a bad decision or having a family that’s ok with you being gay right from the start.

But the most important thing about YA books is that it influences the mindsets of the younger generation for the better on accepting and loving themselves for who they are. No shame, no loathing and no regrets.

• May 16, 2017 at 1:22 am

I would have loved to have been able to find and read books like this when I was in school. I had one heck of a teen romance collection but all your typical girl falls for boy type of scenario. To know that there were others like us…

• May 16, 2017 at 7:33 am

With the abundance of social media vying for our youths attention (ok everyones or why else would i be answering this?) it is important to encourage our youth to read more books. What better way than for them to read about people their own age so they can relate more to the stories. As a more senior member of society, what better way than to relive my youth because i certainly didn’t have these types of YA books around when i was emerging into adulthood, alas. However i am making up for it now as there are some wonderful YA books to be read.

• May 16, 2017 at 1:40 pm

As someone who came out at 15 years old, I would have spent every penny of my allowance to have YA books. That was in the 70s – before the Internet, before “LGBTQ” was an acronym, before support groups and pride parades. Although teens have these options today, they don’t have enough relatable representation. Every time I read a YA story I’m transported back to my own painful, confusing teen years. But each book leaves me encouraged, knowing that this generation might have more understanding, acceptance and self-love.

• May 16, 2017 at 5:54 pm

YA is important because everyone deserves to see themselves in the stories they choose to read. As a kid growing up in a small town in Texas, it was tough to be gay. That’s why I didn’t come out until I was adult. If I had been able to find some queer YA fiction, I might have had less self-hatred and self-doubt. Can’t wait to get my hands on Pieces!